An international panel of art experts and historians has unanimously agreed that Jesus Christ and his 12 Disciples were not actually present and did not personally sit for Leonardo da Vinci when da Vinci painted his famous mural “The Last Supper.” The painting resides on a plaster wall in the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, Italy. Davinci (1452 – 1519) started the mural in 1495 and completed it in 1498.
The painting itself is huge – 15 feet high by almost 29 feet across. It is considered one of da Vinci’s greatest masterpieces. It is also considered by many art experts as the single greatest example of single-point perspective – that single point of focus being Jesus’s head, which is in the middle of the painting.
The painting depicts Jesus Christ and the Disciples at the Last Supper – the final gathering of the group on the night before Christ‘s crucifixion the following day. The painting has been praised for its representation of the disciples as real people, with real feelings and emotions. Davinci painted each of the disciples with their personality as reflected in the four Christian Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, the first four books of the New Testament.
However, despite the personalities and feelings portrayed, the art world agrees that neither the Disciples nor Jesus himself were actually present with da Vinci at the time.
Said German art expert and historian Frietrich Bonhoeffer “While it is certainly possible that Jesus Christ could have chosen to appear and brought the Disciples with Him to assist da Vinci, there is no evidence that this happened. In fact the circumstantial evidence points to quite the contrary. We believe that if Jesus and the Disciples had been living in the Convent, or nearby, for three years, word would have gotten out. That isn’t the type of things people keep secret.”
Bonhoeffer, the spokesperson for the panel, added “Plus, all the guys in the painting are white guys. We don’t know exactly what Jesus or the Disciples looked like, but given the time period and the part of the world where Jesus lived and worked, we’re pretty sure the group didn’t look like a BMW-owners club.”Source: The Spoof – Jesus and Disciples Were Not Present When da Vinci Painted “The Last Supper” (SATIRE)
- Study suggests Stonehenge was prehistoric McDonald’s (craighill.net)
- August 21 1911 Theft of Mona Lisa is discovered (craighill.net)
- June 22 1964 Da Vinci Code author Dan Brown born (craighill.net)
- Newly discovered ancient maps support Chinese territorial claims (chinadailymail.com)
- Growing opportunities in China for Italian design (chinadailymail.com)
- Menulog parodies Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper in campaign from 3rdspace (mumbrella.com.au)
- The Last Supper – Leonardo DaVinci (renaissanceartbrett.wordpress.com)
- Leonardo da Vinci: The Last Supper (historicalwritings.wordpress.com)
- Beyonce Inserts Herself Into The Last Supper, Stirs Up More Controversy (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Did Da Vinci Create Mona Lisa in 3-D? (designntrend.com)