In a written statement, the White House said the veteran broadcaster has been selected to replace Russian policy expert Michael McFaul, who announced last week that he was stepping down after little more than a year on the job.
“Oprah Winfrey is an accomplished businesswoman and a cultural icon,” the statement reads. “Although she started with nothing, now this captivating entertainer is worth billions of dollars.
“Since she left The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2011, Ms. Winfrey has been searching for a way to give back to the American people. Using her considerable communications skills to resolve geopolitical conflicts will further cement her legacy as one of America’s greatest national treasures.”
If confirmed by the Senate, Winfrey will become one of America’s highest profile diplomats and the first African-American to serve as ambassador to a major world power. Confirmation hearings are expected to begin next week.Source: The Daily Currant – Obama Nominates Oprah As Ambassador to Russia (SATIRE)
- Russia hires Jack Bauer to safeguard Sochi Olympics (craighill.net)
- Oprah Winfrey To Be Awarded Her OWN Medal Of Freedom! (perezhilton.com)
- President Obama awards Oprah Winfrey the highest civilian honour In America. I WAS ALSO NOMINATED🙂 (djspaqz.wordpress.com)
- Oprah Winfrey’s Site on Fruits & Vegetables (georgefebish.wordpress.com)
- Oprah Winfrey & Forest Whitaker – NAACP Image Awards 2014 (justjared.com)
- Oprah Winfrey’s Billions (investinged.com)
- Oprah Winfrey acquires Nelson Mandela movie rights (dnaindia.com)
- Obama Nominates Oprah As Ambassador to Russia (dailycurrant.com)
- Jimmy Kimmel Makes Pizza Dinner for Oprah Winfrey – See the Pics! (eonline.com)
- Jimmy Kimmel Makes Pizza Dinner for Oprah Winfrey – See the Pics! (forevervogue.com)