Explaining that she introduced him to the literature that made him the man he is today, 41-year-old Casey Sheard, an unemployed and fundamentally miserable person, confirmed to reporters Tuesday that he still fondly remembers the high school teacher who first inspired him to fall in love with writing.
“Mrs. Merriman was the one who put a copy of The Sound And The Fury in my hands when I was 16 years old, and it totally changed my life,” said Sheard, who has reportedly been unable to hold down any semblance of well-paid, full-time employment, constantly struggles to stay financially afloat, has thus far failed to make a living off of writing as a career, and has frequently spiralled into long periods of severe depression and unhappiness.
“She introduced me to Faulkner, Vonnegut, Hemingway, Steinbeck, and Joyce, and that’s what began my lifelong love affair with the narrative form. Those authors really opened up a whole new world to me, which ultimately inspired me to devote my whole life to the craft of prose. Mrs. Merriman was the catalyst for that; I’ll never forget her.” At press time, sources confirmed Sheard would likely soon return to the classroom as a high school teacher himself to inspire a love of writing in students just as Merriman did for him.Source: The Onion – Unemployed, Miserable Man Still Remembers Teacher Who First Made Him Fall In Love With Writing (SATIRE)
- English professor suddenly realises students will believe literally anything she says (craighill.net)
- The Morning Coffee – 16 January 2013 (the-digital-reader.com)
- Rekindling in 2014 (moorelookingglass.wordpress.com)
- Did a Teacher Change Your Life? (notsoordinarydiary.wordpress.com)
- Dialogue – A day in a life (writingcoffeebean.wordpress.com)
- Pushing On! (Teacher’s Pet – 8th Jan) (imnotdepressed.wordpress.com)
- Paul Hurd’s Legacy Reminds Us That, At Private Schools, Teachers Matter (admissionsquest.com)
- Casual Teaching – How to get asked back (Part 2 of So You Want to Work in a NSW Public School) (aboutteaching.wordpress.com)
- New Enemy Has Emerged; Next Generation: Unemployed and Undereducated (forestofpeace.info)
- Basketball tournament for late teacher tips off in Plainview (newsday.com)