Here are some of the events that happened on this day in Australian history. Please feel free to add others that you know of in the comments section.
- 1889 – Louisa Lawson founded the Dawn Club, which became the hub of the women’s suffrage movement in Sydney.
- 1892 – Frederick Deeming hanged at Melbourne Gaol having been unsuccessfully defended by the lawyer Alfred Deakin. Deeming was accused of committing a series of crimes on three continents—theft, perjury, fraud, bigamy and murder; he used at least 20 aliases.
- 1912 – Walter Burley Griffin’s design for Canberra selected as the winner (pictured).
- 1944 – Birth of John Newcombe, Australian tennis player.
- 1994 – Police arrest Belanglo State Forest serial killer Ivan Milat at his New South Wales home. Milat is later sentenced to life imprisonment.
- Aromanian National Day
- Constitution Day (Germany)
- Labour Day (Jamaica)
- Students’ Day (Mexico)
- World Turtle Day
View original post 31 more words
No comments yet.