Here are just some of the events that happened on this day in Australian history. Please feel free to add others that you know of.
- 1815 – Governor Lachlan Macquarie selects the site of the town of Bathurst, New South Wales.
- 1908 – Australia’s first coat of arms (pictured) is granted by King Edward VII.
- 1931 – Members of the Nationalist Party and the Australian Party merge to form the United Australia Party, the predecessor of the current Liberal Party.
- 1942 – During the Battle of the Coral Sea, carrier forces from the Imperial Japanese Navy and the United States Navy exchange airstrikes in the Coral Sea, located between Australia and the Solomon Islands.
- 1969 – Athlete Russell Short, the winner of six gold medals at the Summer Paralympic Games, is born in Poowong, Victoria.
- Defender of the Fatherland Day (Kazakhstan)
- Dien Bien Phu Victory Day (Vietnam)
- Radio Day…
View original post 41 more words
No comments yet.