The AFP has described it as Australia’s largest ever people smuggling strike.
Mr Lancaster says four of the five people – three Afghans, one Iranian and one Pakistani – came to Australia on boats themselves.
They belonged to syndicates that were collectively responsible for 132 boats reaching Australia, he said.
He says the AFP has about 20 people-smuggling investigations underway.
‘Those who have not been picked up in the first scoop today, that does not mean you should sleep well tonight,’ he told reporters in Canberra.
‘This effort remains ongoing.’Source: Sky News – Five ‘major’ people smugglers arrested
- People smugglers take to the sky with Australian asylum seekers (craighill.net)
- AFP arrest five ‘major’ people smugglers (bigpondnews.com)
- Australia police arrest 5 alleged people smugglers (nzherald.co.nz)
- AFP arrests 5 people-smuggling kingpins (news.smh.com.au)
- AFP arrests five alleged people smugglers during dawn raids in four states (abc.net.au)
- Australia ‘people-smugglers’ held (bbc.co.uk)
- Australia police arrest 5 alleged people smugglers (metronews.ca)
- Five people smuggling ssuspects arrested (radionz.co.nz)
- Five arrested in people-smuggling raids (smh.com.au)
- AFP promises more people smuggler arrests (news.com.au)