Here are some of the events that happened on this day in Australian history. Please feel free to add others that you know of in the comments section.
- 1856 – First Parliament of New South Wales opened by the governor, Sir William Denison.
- 1901 – The foundation stone for St John’s Cathedral, Brisbane (pictured) was laid by the Duke of Cornwall and York, the church celebrated 100 years of construction in 2006, and is only gothic-style stone building under construction anywhere in the world.
- 1998 – Murray Gleeson is appointed as the eleventh Chief Justice of Australia.
- Abolition Day (Martinique)
- Aromanian National Day (marginal, celebration on May 23 is more common)
- Harvey Milk Day (California)
- International Day for Biological Diversity (International)
- United States National Maritime Day
- National Sovereignty Day (Haiti)
- Republic Day (Sri Lanka)
- Translation of the Relics of Saint Nicholas from Myra to Bari (Ukraine)
- Unity Day…
View original post 50 more words
No comments yet.