Here are some of the events that happened on this day in Australian history. Please feel free to add others that you know of in the comments section.
- 1861 – Dame Nellie Melba (pictured) is born in Richmond, Victoria, Victoria
- 1942 – The prototype CAC Boomerang, an Australian designed and built fighter aircraft, takes to the air for the first time.
- 1948 – Federal government announced that Australian rail gauges would be standardised by 1951.
- 1950 – Cabinet agrees to send forces to aid the British during the Malayan Emergency.
- 2002 – 19th Prime Minister of Australia, John Gorton, dies aged 90.
- Greek Genocide Remembrance Day (Greece)
- Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day (Turkey, Northern Cyprus)
- Hồ Chí Minh’s Birthday (Vietnam)
- Malcolm X Day (United States)
- National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (United States)
- Hepatitis Testing Day (United States)
- Mother’s Day (Kyrgyzstan)
Thank you for…
View original post 28 more words
No comments yet.