Here are some of the events that happened on this day in Australian history. Please feel free to add others that you know of.
- 1982 – In the middle of the Franklin Dam dispute, the Labor government of Harry Holgate is voted out in Tasmania and replaced by the Liberal Party, led by Robin Gray.
- 1989 – Bond University (pictured), the first private university in Australia, opens on the Gold Coast.
- Aoi Matsuri (Kyoto)
- Army Day (Slovenia)
- Constituent Assembly Day (Lithuania)
- Independence Day (Paraguay), celebrates the independence of Paraguay from Spain in 1811. Celebrations for the anniversary of the independence begin on Flag Day, May 14.
- International Conscientious Objectors Day
- International Day of Families (International)
- La Corsa dei Ceri begins on the eve of the feast day of Saint Ubaldo. (Gubbio)
- Mother’s Day (Paraguay)
- Nakba Day (Palestinian communities)
- Peace Officers Memorial Day (United States)
- Republic Day (Lithuania)
View original post 53 more words
No comments yet.