The outgoing Labor government had six, Mr Bowen said.
“The cabinet of Afghanistan now has more women (three) in it,” Mr Bowen said.
“It is a disappointing day when Australia goes so backwards, so backwards.”
But equally worrying were the large sectors of the community that will be ignored by Mr Abbott’s decision not to have a minister for disability care, seniors/ageing, tourism, resources, energy and the financial services sector, Mr Bowen said.
Mr Bowen also criticised the coalition for an emerging pattern of promising one thing before the election and then doing another thing after.
He highlighted reports Mr Abbott’s government would not release their mid-year economic forecast until the January holidays.
He said it was a cynical breach of the promise Mr Abbott gave at his campaign launch last month to show the state of the books within 100 days of winning office.
“There will not be the normal scrutiny that you get in this building in other months of the year,” Mr Bowen said.
Mr Bowen also slammed Mr Abbott for not visiting Indonesia within a week of winning the election to discuss key issues between the neighbouring countries.
“Now we’re told (Foreign Affairs) Minister Bishop will catch up with (Indonesian Foreign) Minister Marty Natalegawa in New York for coffee,” he said.
Australian Greens Senator Richard Di Natale said Mr Abbott’s frontbench ignored the major challenges of the 21st century.
“Tony Abbott has made an art out of ignoring the science of climate change so it’s no surprise that he has failed to include science or research,” Senator Di Natale said.Source: The Australian – Labor slams Abbott for one-woman cabinet
- Australia has a new government (craighill.net)
- Labor slams Abbott for one-woman cabinet (bigpondnews.com)
- Abbott’s ‘back to basics’ ministry criticised (sbs.com.au)
- Labor slams Abbott for one-woman cabinet (news.theage.com.au)
- Labor slams Abbott for one-woman cabinet (sbs.com.au)
- Tony Abbott unveils new ministry: Mathias Cormann promoted, Julie Bishop sole woman in Cabinet (abc.net.au)
- Sue Boyce and Judith Troeth express dismay over Tony Abbott’s male-dominated Cabinet (abc.net.au)
- Australia’s prime minister-elect Tony Abbott names his 1st cabinet – @theage (theage.com.au)
- Govt ministry announced: men the 95% in Abbott cabinet (crikey.com.au)
- Australia to start turning back asylum seekers (miamiherald.com)
- ‘This is no place for wilting violets’: Bishop hits back (theage.com.au)