German car maker BMW’s forever expanding range of X models – which currently includes the X3, X5 and X6 – will shortly be joined by the X1, a compact SUV that made its debut in concept form at the Paris Motor Show.The front end of the concept car features strong sculptural lines (especially the bonnet), an upright BMW kidney grille, dual round headlights that cut off at the top, emphasising the unmistakable look and impact of the vehicle.
The large, almost square wheel cutouts, the black band stretching around the lower section of the vehicle, the distinctive contour line along the side and the horizontal lines at the rear is a common styling cue of all X models from BMW.Despite being almost 4.3-inches shorter than the X3 – 4,457 mm or 175.5″ in length – the official images of the BMW Concept X1fails to show any noticeable size difference and makes both models too close in both size and purpose.
The Official BMW Press Release:
The BMW Concept X1
- World debut of a concept BMW X model in the premium compact segment.
- BMW, the founder of the Sports Activity Vehicle segment, is consistently expanding the range of BMW X models.
- Authentic transition of the features and design language typical of a BMW X model into a new class of vehicles. A concept study offering a clear expression of modern style, agility, versatility and premium quality through its design alone.
- As an innovative vehicle concept in the premium compact segment, the BMW Concept X1 sets the standard for cool elegance, modern style, and variable function.
- The BMW Concept X1 offers ample room for spontaneous mobility in many different ways, clearly reﬂ ecting the lifestyle of a modern and active target group. Numerous details on the Concept Car provide a clear hint as to the actual production of an appropriate series model within one year.
- Typical features of a BMW X model combined with elegant, sleek proportions. This alone gives the BMW Concept X1 unique character within the range of BMW X models as a whole.
- The striking frontal view clearly expresses the robust and powerful character of the car by emphasising its sheer width. A door protection element finished in a different colour gives additional emphasis to the wide track.
- The BMW Concept X1 comes with dual round headlights cut off at the top in the typical style of the BMW brand, complete with a white-coloured horizontal cover at the top edge. The position of the headlights and foglamps brings back the three-eye face of other BMW X models.
- Six contour lines and the three-dimensional shape define the surface design of the engine compartment lid emanating a strong feeling of dynamic performance. The inner lines taper out sharply to the front towards the BMW kidney grille, the outer lines continue into the shoulder contours at the side.
- Through its centre of gravity visibly positioned right in the middle, the small distance between the front axle and the steering wheel, and the almost square contours of the wheel cutouts, the side view of the BMW Concept X1 draws a clear parallel to other BMW X models. Black body surrounds made of a special, robust synthetic material highlight the clear orientation towards the wheels. The sturdy, silver-coloured roof railing extends far to the rear, determining the course of the roofline together with the spoiler at the back.
- Characteristic rear end with L-shaped rear light clusters ensuring a homogeneous light effect thanks to LED light tubes. Raked to a low angle, the rear window gives the BMW Concept X1 a truly sporting touch, the horizontal lines emphasising the sheer width of the vehicle.
- As a special design feature specific to this model, three-dimensional surrounds encompass the headlights and rear light clusters and help to create the special graphics of the side windows.
Once again the successful history of BMW X models is opening up the door for further inspiration in the development of innovative vehicle concepts:
- The BMW Concept X1 offers all the thrill of agile and versatile mobility also beyond the beaten track in a new segment of vehicles.
- Proudly presenting this new Concept Car, BMW is offering an outlook at the world’s first Sports Activity Vehicle in the premium compact segment. Through its design alone, this new concept model clearly expresses all the strengths and qualities of such a vehicle, the BMW Concept X1 exuding a strong touch of agility and versatility both in its driving qualities and practical use. And at the same time the Concept Car clearly reveals the stylish elegance of this ﬁ ve-door as well as its modern function.
Creating this unique Concept Car, BMW is catering for the demands of a modern target group in search of an up-to-date automobile meeting both the challenges of everyday traffic and the personal needs of many purchasers for an active lifestyle and a versatile driving experience. The BMW Concept X1 expresses that very special sheer driving pleasure so typical in this unique form of a BMW X model combined with a high standard of all-round functionality. So now these qualities are for the first time being carried over to a vehicle in the premium compact segment.
Ongoing innovation in the Sports Activity segment established by BMW.
As the founder of the Sports Activity Vehicle segment, BMW has already proven its outstanding competence in developing innovative vehicle concepts. Indeed, the German premium car maker first established its position as the leader in innovation in this segment – a position BMW still holds today – in 1999 through the presentation of the first-generation BMW X5.
In a market segment previously dominated by conventional offroaders, the BMW X5, through its outstanding dynamic driving qualities alone, set new standards right from the beginning.
Now in its second generation, the BMW X5, through its superior driving qualities and wide range of practical use as well as its luxurious interior ambience, still sets the standard for vehicles in its category to this very day.
The First Sports Activity Vehicle in the Premium Compact Segment:
The BMW Concept X1.
The exceptional potential offered by this new segment of vehicles also enabled BMW at a very early point to carry over the attractive features of this Sports Activity Vehicle to other market segments. In the guise of the BMW X3, for example, outstanding agility on all kinds of terrain also proved to be a huge success in the segment below the BMW X5. Indeed, the BMW X3 was the first and for many years the only vehicle in this segment to come from a premium manufacturer, with worldwide sales of the BMW X3 now amounting to more than 500,000 units.
The ongoing expansion of the BMW X model range is likewise the result of the unique, innovative power offered by the world’s most successful manufacturer of premium cars. The BMW X6 launched this year, for example, is the world’s first Sports Activity Coupé to successfully enter the market. This unique model combining the dynamic lines of a Coupé with the superior power and cultivated robustness of a BMW X model, continues the emphasis on dynamic driving qualities originally initiated with the BMW X5, maintaining BMW’s philosophy most clearly and convincingly. Indeed, BMW has once again, through the BMW X6, set the foundation for a brand-new type of vehicle reaching additional target groups now once again thrilled by the BMW X model concept accounting in the meantime for sales of more than 1.2 million units the world over.
October 13th 2008
Was engaged into the German car industry for 8 years …. and my finance always said that it doesn’t matter what car you drive – so long as it’s German and silver metallic – that was in the in 70th’s. Think it was the Volvo that came out with this “golden” metallic first – just love the color. Have a friend who bought this model or .. and he hated it. After 8 months he bought a Golf instead. – some special edition.