The case involves 10 asylum seekers who are facing rioting and wilful damage charges. Australian-based barrister Jay Williams, who is representing the detainees, told a Nauruan magistrates court on Wednesday he had been refused access to the centre by Australia’s immigration department.
He said he needed more resources to mount a proper defence as he was prevented from interviewing his clients, according to a statement from Nauru’s government.
“The magistrate agreed that access refusal appeared to be in contravention of the defendants’ constitutional rights and he would seek further information from the Supreme Court on the matter,” the statement said.
Mr Williams’ constitutional challenge, if successful, could have implications for the future of the Australian-run centre.
The detainee’s had their bail extended until June 17 for the riot charges, while Nauru’s Supreme Court will hear the constitutional challenge on June 7. Comment has been sought from the immigration department.Source: SBS World News – Nauru asylum centre faces legal challenge
- Australia says asylum seeker boat arrival not a new people smuggling strategy (craighill.net)
- Nauru asylum centre faces legal challenge (news.com.au)
- Two suspected asylum boats intercepted (news.com.au)
- Two asylum boats intercepted (dailytelegraph.com.au)
- Five asylum seekers attempt Nauru escape (abc.net.au)
- Asylum seeker industry’s $8 billion money spinner (smh.com.au)
- Official barred from visits to Nauru, Manus Island (smh.com.au)
- Human rights chief warned off islands visit (theage.com.au)
- Next apology will be to asylum seeker children, warns former judge (irishtimes.com)
- Boat with 150 asylum seekers intercepted near Christmas Island (refugeearchives.wordpress.com)
- Asylum seekers denied legal rights: advocates (theage.com.au)