In a case fraught with major parental implications, a federal appeals court has overturned the bedtimes for Malia and Sasha Obama as chosen by the president and first lady, calling them “unconstitutional” and “totally unfair.”
“This decision is novel and unprecedented,” said White House press secretary Jay Carney. “It undermines not just Barack and Michelle‘s ability to make decisions in the best interests of their children, but millions of parents around the country.
“All any parent wants is a little time to relax after the kids go to bed and now the court has taken that away from the first family,” Carney added.
The three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ruled that the bedtimes dictated for the children – 8pm for Sasha and 9pm for Malia – violates the Ninth Amendment of the Constitution, citing the concurring opinion in the 1996 case of Natasha Renko v. Teresa Kaylor McLean that there is a need to preserve “under normal circumstances, the internal harmony and integrity of the family unit … in the parent-child relationship.”
“That’s a pretty loose interpretation of the law, if you ask me,” said law consultant Joey Gouger. “And I should know because I make my living on loose interpretations of the law. Like they say, I like my law like I like my women.”
For their part, the Obamas are dismayed that their girls have taken this route with their bedtimes, noting that they often let the two stay up later on non-school nights to watch reruns of Full House or The Cosby Show.
“Besides, it takes Sasha like 45 minutes to brush her teeth at night because she spends more time walking around chewing on the toothbrush than she does brushing,” said Michelle. “So it’s not like we actually get her into bed at eight o’clock.”
“And even if we do, she’s up a good four or five times for one thing or another,” added the president. “I think we have a strong appeal.”
On the flip side, the president and first lady say they are proud that their daughters are taking advantage of the full resources of the United States at their disposal, a practice that will serve them well in their continued celebrity status throughout life.
“Don’t try this at home!” joked the president. “At least, not a middle class home with limited financial means who doesn’t have the judicial system within arm’s reach.”Source: CAP News – Court Rules Obama Kids’ Bedtimes Unconstitutional (SATIRE)
- President Obama says America is fed up with the spoiled brat antics of Justin Bieber so I am deporting him back to Canada (craighill.net)
- An Open Letter to Sasha and Malia About Michelle Obama’s Rap Album (grantland.com)
- Sasha Obama Is So Over Her Dad (thewire.com)
- Bedtime Math by Laura Overdeck Book Review and Giveaway (betterinbulk.net)
- 5 Tips for Creating a Great Bedtime Routine (babyzzzdotcom.wordpress.com)
- God’s Little Princess Bedtime Devotional Review & Giveaway (nickisrandommusings.com)
- Toddler Bedtime Books (ask.metafilter.com)
- Malia Obama Named One of ‘Time’ Magazine’s ‘Most Influential Teens’ (atlantablackstar.com)
- WATCH: President and First Lady Obama Say No Social Media for Sasha (blackchristiannews.com)
- Go to bed: Irregular bedtimes linked to behavioral problems in children (sciencedaily.com)